The 4 Best Gold Storage Options for Ultimate Peace of Mind
When it comes to storing gold and silver, it’s important to consider factors such as safety, security and privacy.
As gold is considered a liquid and valuable asset, it’s crucial to make sure it is kept in a secure location. There are a few options available for gold storage, such as: U.S. Gold Depositories, Overseas Gold Storage, Bank Safe Deposit Boxes and Fireproof Home Safes.
It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each option before making a decision on the best form of storage for your precious metals.
Gold Storage in the United States
Bank Safe Deposit Boxes
Many financial institutions in the US, such as banks and credit unions, offer safe deposit boxes for a yearly fee of $100-$250. It is recommended to check with your local bank for availability, pricing and size options. Some banks may require an active account to be eligible for renting a safe deposit box. To find a bank that offers storage for gold, you can contact the Certified Gold Exchange at (800) 300-0715.
The benefits of storing gold in a bank include:
- Boxes are effortlessly accessible during business hours.
- Safe deposit boxes allow you to store other valuables and important documents with your precious metals.
- Banks provide affordable storage of up to $25,000 in silver or $1 million in gold.
- Boxes are only accessible via key and code and are protected within the bank’s vault by armed guards.
- Under federal law, if a bank fails, closes, or is bought out, it must send a certified letter to safe deposit box holders and give them at least 90 days to recover their savings
The disadvantages of bank gold storage include:
- Since the United States government has full access to deposit boxes’ contents under the Patriot Act, their privacy could be compromised.
- Safety deposit boxes can be inventoried and confiscated by the IRS in the event of death.
- Bank safety deposit boxes are not FDIC-insured.
- You would not have access to your metal during a bank holiday
Private US Depositories
Blue Vault in San Diego, California offers low-cost precious metal storage options starting at $15 per month, and their vaults are as tall as six feet. No bank account or identification is necessary to use their services. Customers can select between vault storage and safe deposit box storage. Visit www.BlueVaultSecure.com or call (619) 342-8090 for more information. Additionally, Brinks offers gold storage at various locations throughout the US on their website www.BrinksGlobal.com.
Brinks Gold Storage
Brinks (www.BrinksGlobal.com) has secure gold storage facilities and service centers around the United States, including in:
- Boston, MA
- Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami, FL
- New York, NY
- Salt Lake City, UT
The cost for storing metals with Brinks varies based on the type of metal and the quantity being stored. To get a specific quote, reach out to Brinks directly by calling (804) 289-9600. If you don’t meet the requirements for direct gold storage with Brinks, you may consider contacting a third-party that already has an account with Brinks. Some reputable options include GoldCore.com, GoldSilver.com and PreciousMetalStorage.net.
Commonwealth Vault & Safe Deposit Company
Commonwealth offers safe deposit boxes customized to fit your needs, and they also provide standard vault storage. Store your gold and silver with Commonwealth in Ashburn, Virginia for as little as $120 annually (3”x5” safe deposit box) or opt for a 10”x10” box for $420 per year. Get your quote or more details at www.CommonwealthSafeBox.com or by calling (571) 919-4912 today.
Colorado Vault & Safe Deposit Box Company
The Colorado Vault & Safe Deposit Box Company provides round-the-clock access (with prior arrangement) and can tailor storage solutions to your specifications. The cost for a 3”x5” box starts at $100 annually, while a 10”x15” box costs $500 annually. To obtain quotes for custom or larger sizes, you can contact them at (720) 879-7134 or visit their website at www.CVsafebox.com for further information.
Delaware Depository Services Company (DDSC
DDSC is not only the nation’s leading Precious Metal IRA depository, but it is also a popular gold storage facility for individuals who don’t feel comfortable keeping metals at home. Gold and silver storage fees vary depending on the items in question and on the volume. To get a precious metal storage quote from DDSC call (302) 765-3889 or visit www.DelawareDepository.com today.
The Gold Center
The Gold Center presents three convenient gold storage options at its secure vault in Springfield, Illinois. A 20”x24”x14” storage locker costs $504 annually. The 24”x20”x38” option costs $1,368 per year, and the 30”x32”x46” locker costs $3,312 annually. The Gold Center encourages investors to contact them at www.TheGoldCenter.com or at (217) 793-8000 to determine how much storage space they require for each precious metal portfolio.
Gold Silver Vault
The Gold Silver Vault (www.GoldSilverVault.com) provides options for storing gold and silver both domestically and internationally. Their Idaho depository offers storage for as little as $300 per year for gold and silver valued at up to $50,000. Fees for storing larger amounts range from 0.78% to 0.5% of the metals’ market value, depending on the volume. Silver storage is slightly more expensive than gold storage, with a rate of 0.2% higher based on volume. To learn more, visit the Gold Silver Vault’s website or contact them at (208) 468-3600. They also offer Singapore gold storage as an option.
International Depository Services
International Depository Services (IDS) is an Intercontinental Exchange approved depository and offers gold storage locations domestically in Delaware and Texas with an international option in Canada. IDS offers state-of-the-art facilities containing Class III vaults and multi redundant security systems. IDS annual fees start at 1.25% of the account value up to $100,000 and scale down from there. IDS also offers gold ira rollover depository services. You can visit ID’S website at https://www.ids-delaware.com/ or call them at (888) 322-6150 and ask for Tina.
Inwood Security Vaults
Inwood provides a range of storage options for gold in Dallas, Texas, including a 3”x5”x24” safe deposit box for $395 per year and a 4’x4’x10’ walk-in storage closet for $6,995 per year, among others. They offer complete anonymity, and access to the metals is protected by requiring both a customer’s key and a master vault key. They are open six days a week, and you can schedule an appointment to discuss storage options by visiting their website at www.InwoodVaults.com or calling (214) 357-6888.
Mountain Vault in Phoenix, Arizona offers gold storage for individuals and businesses alike. The company boasts on its website www.MountainVault.net that it has never lost a single ounce of gold or silver, and while the website does not provide specific prices, it does mention that it has a wide range of storage options; and the vault itself is “embedded in a mountain.” Call Mountain Vault today at (602) 943-9796 for further information.
Romney Precious Metals Storage
This Palmyra, Utah-based gold and silver depository offers private vault storage for individuals and companies alike. While www.PreciousMetalsSpanishFork.com does not list its safe deposit boxes’ prices or sizes, it encourages investors with precious metals to call (801) 798-2242 for a free, live gold and silver storage quote.
Safe-Haven Private Vaults
Safe-Haven Private Vaults (www.SafeHavenVaults.com) offers boxes ranging in size from 3”x5” to 30”x60” and pricing varies depending on lease term and the items being stored. Prices start at $14.99 a month at this Utah-based depository and you can access your metals 24/7/365. Insurance is available and the company ensures your metals are protected by using pressure sensors, armed guards, and over 50 cameras. Call (801) 569-3000 today for a quote.
Texas Bullion Depository
The Texas Bullion Depository is a “state-run” depository in Leander, Texas. It’s one of the most affordable large-scale gold storage facilities with fees starting at 0.5% of an accounts value up to $2,499,999.99. Customers are invoiced quarterly and the minimum storage fee is $25 per quarter. You can visit their website at https://www.texasbulliondepository.gov/ or call them at (844) 416-GOLD.
Texas Precious Metals Depository
The Texas Precious Metals Depository features a fully underground, state-of-the-art gold storage facility. They offer no set-up, withdrawal or deposit fees. Their gold storage fees start at just 0.5% of the account’s value up to $100,000. At the same time, their silver storage fees will run you 0.6% of the account’s value. You can contact them directly at https://texasdepository.com/ or call them at (361) 594-3624.
The Security Center
The Security Center provides safe storage options that range in size from 2”x5” to 24”x36” (all boxes are 24” deep) and is protected by a 38-ton steel vault door. They do not require a Social Security Number to open an account, and you can access your wealth 24/7/365. To learn more about pricing options for gold storage or to schedule a visit to the vault, call (504) 522-SAFE (7233).
U.S. Private Vaults
U.S. Private Vaults, located in Beverly Hills, California, offers anonymous gold and silver storage starting at $33 per month. There is a 20% reduction in cost for renting a safe deposit box for a full year, and a 30% discount for prepaying. Boxes come in different sizes, including 3”x5”, 3”x10”, 5”x5”, 5”x10” and 10”x10”, and all boxes are 22” deep. To learn more and schedule an appointment, visit their website at www.USPrivateVaults.com or contact them by phone at (888) 948-8778.
Unfortunately, The Vault in Tempe, Arizona does not provide information about safe deposit box sizes and prices on its website www.TheVaultAZ.com, but the website has pictures of boxes of various sizes secured inside a UL-rated vault. The company keeps your holdings confidential, and you can get more information by calling (602) 288-9150 today.
Gold Storage Depositories in Popular Offshore Destinations
Many gold experts believe that keeping gold in overseas storage facilities is currently the safest way to store it. These facilities often collaborate with companies that specialize in armored transportation and security to ensure the highest level of protection. When considering storing gold internationally, it may be helpful to consider the following information.
- As gold depositories are not part of the banking system, they do not have the same laws and jurisdictions as banks, allowing many of them to stay open 365 days per year.
- Gold depositories usually offer both “allocated” and “unallocated” storage. Allocated or “segregated” storage allows you to retain the rights to the same bars and coins you purchased, and you will always get a certificate of storage verifying this, so you can retrieve the exact items you bought. To qualify for segregated vault storage, you may need to own a substantial volume of gold.
- Gold that enters depositories is immediately audited through various stages of security under tight video surveillance. It is then signed and tagged with your name, account number, and a description of the contents before being secured inside the depository.
- Offshore gold depositories can often ship your gold to your doorstep within 5-10 business days under normal circumstances.
- Gold stored in depositories can be sold quickly since it doesn’t need to be re-inspected once inside the depository’s system.
Below you will find contact information and company details for gold storage companies in 5 of the most popular countries for U.S. citizens to store precious metals. Some of these countries may be in the process of changing their gold storage laws for U.S. citizens due to recent adjustments to the U.S. tax code, so you might want to speak to a tax attorney before attempting to store gold overseas.
1. Gold Storage in Australia
- ABC Bullion offers unsegregated storage, segregated storage and safe deposit boxes with 24/7 access. Storage fees are .75%-1.5% of the market value of your gold and silver depending on volume. Go to www.ABCbullion.com.au to contact ABC Bullion.
- Gold Bullion Australia works directly with the Australian Treasury Reserve to provide storage for gold bullion bars and coins. Accounts are audited monthly and investors can request delivery at any time. Visit www.GoldBullionAustralia.com.au to learn more.
- Gold De Royale provides secure bullion storage in Brisbane for clients who buy gold from Gold De Royale. This company employs double-blind auditing methods to ensure your wealth is protected and your privacy remains unviolated. Visit www.GoldDeRoyale.com.au for more information.
- Guardian Vaults has facilities in both Sydney and Melbourne and features some of the largest personal vaults in Australia. The smallest safe deposit box available measures 13”x8”x56, while the largest vault measures 68”x140”x30”, providing ample space for up to 1 ton of gold or silver bullion storage. To receive a price quote, visit their website at www.GuardianVaults.com.au.
- The Perth Mint in Australia offers depository storage for gold, but does not offer the possibility to open or manage accounts online. To obtain current pricing and information about the gold storage options available at the Perth Mint, visit their website at www.PerthMint.com.au.
- The Reserve Vault in Brisbane offers both vault storage and safe deposit boxes. Safe deposit boxes can hold between 5 and 22 kilograms of gold, while private vaults can hold up to 2,000 kilograms. Minimum storage amounts, exact pricing and instructions for making an appointment to open an account can be found at www.ReserveVault.com.au or by requesting a callback via the website.
2. Gold Storage in Austria
- Bank Austria requires a photo I.D. and other information to lease you a safe deposit box, but prices are low at less than $200 per year. Sizes and costs vary depending on the Bank Austria location you visit. Visit www.BankAustria.at/en/ to learn more.
- Das Safe offers both standard and completely anonymous gold and silver storage. All you need to access your precious metals is a pin code and a unique key. It costs around $600 per year for a 9x30x48 (centimeters) safe deposit box and can cost as much as $6,000 per year for a walk-in vault. Log on to www.dassafe.com/e_index.html for further information.
- RBI (Raiffeisen Bank International) provides storage for gold and silver in partnership with the Reserve Bank of Austria. To be eligible for storage with RBI, investors must store a minimum of $250,000 worth of precious metals. To learn more and schedule an appointment to discuss storage options, visit the website www.RBInternational.com.
3. Gold Storage in Canada
- Bullion Management Group (BMG) offers investors the ability to purchase and store 1-kilogram, 100-ounce, and 400-ounce gold bars. They conduct monthly audits of the holdings and investors can request delivery of their bullion at any time. To learn more, visit the website www.BMGbullion.com
- First Canadian Depository (FCD) offers allocated storage for gold and silver to individuals, businesses, and government organizations. You can either purchase your metals and ship or deliver them to FCD yourself or purchase through one of FCD’s authorized gold dealers. Pricing options and directions to FCD’s various locations throughout Canada can be found on their website www.FCD.ca or by contacting them at (416) 645-8731.
- Kitco offers storage for gold and silver bullion when you purchase your metals from them. To qualify for storage, you must purchase at least 10 ounces of gold or 500 ounces of silver, and the pricing varies depending on the volume and type of product being stored. For information on delivery times, visiting hours and to receive a quote, visit the website www.Online.Kitco.com/cas or contact them via phone at (877) 775-4826.
- Sprott Money provides secure, insured storage options for gold and silver in Toronto and British Columbia, but you must purchase the metals directly from them and have a minimum investment of $15,000. Contact them at (888) 861-0775 or visit their website at www.SprottMoney.com for more information.
4. Gold Storage in Singapore
- Brink’s of Singapore offers personal storage, mass vaulting, counterfeit detection and more at its Enterprise One location. For specifics, contact Brink’s at www.BrinksSingapore.com.sg today.
- Gold Silver Vault provides U.S. investors with physically segregated, insured storage of gold and silver. Get information on this company’s “highly competitive pricing structure” at www.GoldSilverVault.com or by calling (208) 468-3600 today.
- Malca Amit has a 25,000 square meter facility near the Changi International Airport and insures stored metals with an international Lloyd’s of London policy. Choose between safe deposit boxes starting at 2”x5”x24”, dedicated private vaults, and many options in between. For specific details or to set up an appointment, visit www.Malca-Amit.com today.
- The Singapore Freeport uses electronic staff monitoring to provide safe, insured precious metal storage at its North Crescent facility. This depository stores gold for companies and government entities in addition to individuals so security is taken very seriously. Visit www.SingaporeFreeport.com for more details.
- The Singapore Silver & Gold Vault provides secure and insured storage for gold and silver using advanced security measures such as full-body scanners, vibration sensors, heavy vault doors and armed guards. The facility, located in Changi, is 270,000 square feet and requires a minimum investment of $15,000 in cash or assets to open an account. Fees can be as low as $25 per month. To learn more about storage options and costs, you can visit the website at www.goldsilver.com/article/singapore-silver-and-gold-vault-gst-free/ or contact them by phone at (888) 319-8166.
5. Gold Storage in Switzerland
- Brink’s of Switzerland provides precious metal storage at its facility in Geneva and Zurich. Brink’s does not make its vault sizes or prices available online at wwwuat.brinks.com/locations/switzerland.html#locations-content but you can get answers to your questions by calling (800) BRINKS-5 or (804) 289-9600 now.
- Gold Switzerland provides safe storage options for precious metals in their Swiss Alps location and Zurich. The prices for storing in the mountain vault are lower, but to be eligible, a minimum portfolio of $5 million in precious metals is required. Visit www.GoldSwitzerland.com to get more information on costs and available storage capacities.
- Suisse Gold has a vault in Zurich where you can store your metals in a fully segregated, allocated vault. Storage fees vary depending on whether you purchased your metals from Suisse Gold, another gold dealer in Switzerland or a gold dealer from another country and based on volume. Get a storage quote today at www.SuisseGold.com.
*Via Mat, formerly a famous overseas gold storage company with facilities in Hong Kong, Singapore and Switzerland, is no longer offering gold storage to U.S. citizens due to changing U.S. tax laws. Suppose you wish to be notified if (or when) other international precious metal storage facilities change their policies regarding U.S. citizens please subscribe to our mailing list.
Gold Storage at Home
There are many ways to store gold and silver at home safely.
Fireproof Safes for Gold & Silver
Investors who do not trust the depository and banking systems tend to rely on their own personal home safes for gold storage. Just like with cash, storing gold in a home safe is free, but security must be taken to the next level to be truly safe from intrusion or loss. Remember, gold stored at home is susceptible to theft and damage, so it’s crucial that you use your safe correctly to ensure that you are the only one with access. Remember the following when considering a fireproof home safe:
- Home safes used for gold storage are usually placed out of sight, usually in very clever locations such as inside walls, under floor panels or behind bookcases.
- Home safes should permanently be fully bolted to the floor and wall to ensure that an intruder cannot simply walk out with the safe. A safe can be brought in on a dolly and wheeled out on a dolly if it hasn’t been attached to a building or at least hidden.
- You pay for what you get, so if you want top-notch security, pay the top-notch price for a high-quality safe.
- Never hire a private contractor to install your home safe. This takes all the security of your home safe out of the equation.
- Home safes are susceptible to fire and flood. Ensure that your safe is fireproof and waterproof to obtain maximum security.
- Combine your home safe with a high-quality home alarm system with motion detectors and instant police notification to ensure the gold’s utmost security inside your safe.
You can buy sturdy, fire-rated home safes from a local gun or security store, or any of the following retailers:
- Amazon (www.Amazon.com) $179-$3,000
- Best Buy (www.BestBuy.com) $199-$6,100
- Dick’s Sporting Goods (www.DicksSportingGoods.com) $319-$1,349
- Home Depot (www.HomeDepot.com) $129-$4,399
- Lowe’s (www.Lowes.com) $199-$599
- Patriot Gun Safes (www.PatriotGunSafes.com) $499-$4,999
- Sam’s (www.SamsClub.com) $199-$1,199
- Tractor Supply (www.TractorSupply.com) $149-$1,299
To protect from corrosion’s effects, airtight protector tubes and holders should be used whenever you will store gold or silver for more than three years.
- Amazon (www.Amazon.com)
- Air-Tites (www.Air-Tites.com)
- eBay (www.eBay.com)
- Fuerte Cases (www.FuerteCases.com)
- Safe Pub (www.SafePub.com)
Some people scatter their gold and silver around their properties like Easter eggs, while others tear up floorboards or rip the stuffing from their mattresses in attempts to hide their precious metals from would-be thieves. Unfortunately, such tactics have led to the loss of gold. Last year, a California couple found over $11 million in pre-1933 gold coins buried in cans on their property, while a few months ago, workers found more than 2,000 silver coins stuffed inside the walls of a deceased Florida man’s house.
If you want to ensure that your gold and silver can be passed on to your loved ones in case something happens to you, it is better to use a more professional method of storage rather than hiding the precious metals in various locations around your property.
The first image illustrates a type of safe that can easily be breached by a burglar within a quarter of an hour. The subsequent images display the level of quality and security that should be sought after if one has valuable items such as gold and silver worth at least $7,000.
Choosing a precious metals storage method is a topic that deserves your time and attention, much like choosing a car seat for your newborn child. Owning gold is all about peace of mind, so shouldn’t your gold be protected in a way that allows you to sleep at night? For further information on gold storage options, call the Certified Gold Exchange toll-free at (800) 300-0715 and speak with one of our senior precious metal advisers about gold and silver storage options that could work for you.
Avoid These 10 Gold IRA Scams.
DEALERS USE ON YOU